Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Rainy Day Sewing

Unlike many of you on the "other" coast with all of your snow, we are enjoying some rainy days here.  It has been sorely lacking this year so it makes for pleasant days of settling in for some fun sewing.

While my sister was visiting she convinced me that I should join her in sewing a Postcards From Sweden quilt.  I'm so glad that she did as it is such a happy, colorful quilt.  I'm not sure how I will quilt it yet, but I really love it.  My sister (IG@alaskanquilter) has already started hers so I am excited to see how she likes it.

It's hard to get it all in one pictures, but you can see the gorgeous colors.


While stitching the rows together I had it hanging in front of a window and enjoyed the leaded glass look of it.


This is the background that I have chosen for it....wild and crazy colors too.



Also while she was down, we played a bit with my years old UFO of New York Beauty blocks.  I don't know why I hadn't sewn these together yet because they are some of my favorite sewn blocks.  Instead of the little bits for leaders and enders that I normally sew, I used these blocks.  The result is finally seeing them together.







I think I may do a Bordeaux narrow strip followed by a Flying Geese border to finish it off.

Marsha (IG@quilterinmotion) is our queen bee this month in our Gridster Bee.  This was her choice of blocks for us.  I love the crispness or a red, white and blue color combination.   I did two blocks, but forgot to photograph the other one.  ;-(



I watched a couple of the little ones this week.  Toby loves it when the kids are here because it is attention overload for him.



Life is good!

Linking up with Quilt Fabrication Midweek Makers, and Freemotion by the River,

21 comments:

  1. Your Post Cards from Sweden quilt has such happy colors and a fun backing. New York Beauty is simply amazing!! The kids are too cute, the crate photo made me laugh out loud.

    I was hoping to see your temperature quilt. I'm struggling with my 'months' blocks. I need to get my rows together before the weekend. I start traveling again next Monday, two weeks this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your quilts and have wanted to make both of them for some time. Maybe this will be the year for at least one of them? The backing for postcards is perfect! The photos of your grands are adorable. Enjoy the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those NY Beauty blocks - simply gorgeous! I love the background fabric you've chosen for Postcards from Sweden, it's a perfect complement to the solids. Hmm, there were a couple moments I thought about "containing" the 14-month old grand and the puppy in the crate last week, at least while we were cooking dinner lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rich and varied life you lead, from New York Beauty blocks to Swedish postcard blocks. Wherever did you have those NYB blocks hiding? Wow! So fun to see them all put together. Joan's visits are good for productivity, I think. I loved the pictures of the kids with Toby--very fun to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much quilty goodness in this post! WOW! I am jealous of your Postcards quilt. I've had to bow out of the last to PFS QAL's and it's one of my alltime favorite quilts! Those New York Beauty blocks are gorgeous! How big is that quilt?\ going to be? It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those NY Beauty blocks! Those are on my to-do list, so I can't wait to see your finished quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your postcard quilt, Mary...great, vibrant colours. Your NYB quilt is wonderful!....I've never made one. Hope you had a great time with the little cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Post Cards from Sweden is gorgeous, and the New York Beauty is growing nicely..
    lovely Bee block...
    LOL great shot of your sweet grannies in the cage with Toby..
    looks like he's happy to be carried like a rag doll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the backing for the Postcards. It will be a fun quilt to brighten any room. And I love the New York Beauty blocks. What a work of art!
    We are enjoying these rains this week, hoping for more this afternoon although it's rather sunny at the moment. It's finally turning green around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your postcards quilt brought such cheeriness on a snowy day where I live. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of these pretty projects at your place! Love the red, white, and blue block too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your postcards from Sweden flimsy.......I see some hourglasses, (bowties?) in there.......mainly because I started a charity quilt today intending to use that disappearing hourglass pattern that you use with the layer cake pieces....and then changed my mind and left the hourglasses so the fabric pattern would show more....Oh goodness, your New York Beauty is magnificent! Those colors and shapes remind me of a Laurel Busch design! You still amaze me with all you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Postcards From Sweden is so pretty and the backing fabric is just perfect. The bee block is lovely. I am smitten by your New York Beauty, it is gorgeous!! Bordeaux border will frame is beautifully. Toby seems to be coping with all the attention just fine. The crate-den photo made me laugh out loud. Life is good indeed :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of those are beautiful! You have to finish your New York Beauty.....it is so neat! Looks like you had fun with the grandchildren. Here in Iowa the snow and rain have missed us, we're waiting for it to warm up! Enjoy your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many beautiful projects. They look like sparkling jewels. My granddaughter did the same thing with her dog and the dog cage. So sweet. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed out loud at the cutie in the cage. Over the years my grandsons have all done the same thing. Too funny! Your NY Beauty is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your Post Card from Sweden quilt top. And your NY Beauty is stunning!

    And such fun grandkid pics with Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute Littles playing with Toby. Your quilts are amazing and very cheerful for a rainy day. We are continuing to have snow, rain and hail. Lots of it all. Not very conducive to home showings. Happy Sewing Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Postcards from Sweden is so happy! I still love that you sew with your sister even at a distance.

    I have always loved New York Beauty quilts and yours is spectacular! I plan on starting one of my own in Octoberish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the sound of rain! Your quilts are lovely! I like that you have a cage for the kids! ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete